Sunday, January 7, 2018

January 7th, 2018 With Just A Look

January 7th, 2018 With Just A Look

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget (and by that, I mean--I didn't exceed the budget--I actually fell short by 399 calories today), I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed connected with good support.

You can see a lot in a person's eyes. I did not like seeing the look of fear and confusion in mom's eyes last night. Today, I was overjoyed to see the smile back in her eyes. Her improvement in the last 24 hours was apparent with just a look. This whole thing she's experiencing has been a rollercoaster for her. I've been doing my best to keep family updated. If you're family and you're reading about it here--please understand, I'm doing the best I can. The most important thing is, she's showing improvement. The doctor took a different approach today with increased oxygen, prednisone, and an order for continued breathing treatments.

I opted for more sleep today. I slept in really late and enjoyed every minute of the rest. I got a little work done before making it out to mom this afternoon. My food schedule, as expected, was a little off today--and since I essentially skipped lunch, I came in 399 calories under my maintenance calorie budget. It's one day. It rarely happens. Not a big deal. I eat very well!

The most important thing for me, especially during high stress/high emotion times, is: I'm not using food like a drug. It takes a practice of intentional actions to not opt for the deeply ingrained reactions.

I've talked to people today. I've communicated effectively with mom's nursing staff. I've made sure I'm getting enough rest. Basically, I'm taking care. 

Food isn't a fixer.

From the archives-April 2016--

Stability can be easily sacrificed in the middle of high stress and emotions. I mean, seriously--you're reading the blog of a professional stress/emotional eater! It really wasn't that long ago when my solution to almost everything was more food.

The key to refraining from that sacrifice, for me, starts with acknowledging that food isn't a fixer. Food isn't a therapist. Food's only job is to nourish my body. And this acknowledgment pushes me in the direction of facing feelings--instead of stuffing them and handling stress with action instead of retreat.

Staying centered spiritually through my private/personal prayer and meditative time is imperative--and staying in regular contact with good one on one and group support connections is critically important for me in this process.

One of the big differences between my initial weight loss and my turnaround from relapse/regain (and for the last 2+ years of maintenance) is an awareness and appreciation of how the slip and slide can start. The humbling experience of regain cemented the fact that I'm never beyond relapse. My continued maintenance isn't guaranteed. I don't "got this," I only have the rails of support I've installed within my plan.

Taking what I do seriously, each and every day--while doing it in a way that makes it easy to laugh, smile and enjoy life along the way, and always remembering that I'm only as stable as my next good choice--keeps me well.

Today's Accountability Tweets:


Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the timely reminder that food is not the go-to medicine of choice in times of stress! I am so glad your mom seems better. Still praying for her and your family. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life in one hand and your food in the other. Thank you for doing what you do to stay do to stay abstinent💫

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.